To find out what Central Kitchen and tap is all about, read what one of our fans wrote about us on Yelp:
Central Kitchen & Tap is the place we didn't know we were waiting for. Friends, you must give it a try. Why? These are just off the top of my head but there are undoubtedly more:
- James, your genial host, clearly has thought through the concept and knows what he's doing.
- Fresh, delicious food with literally something for everybody, from vegans to omnivores to carnivores. Appetizers, salads, lots of creative-looking sandwiches, and a dozen or so entrees.
- The a la carte menu means people can be very choosy about what they order, which is a great relief to gourmands like me, who can never resist the fries or chips or what-have-you.
- Super-reasonable prices - as in, 2 sandwiches, 2 sides, 2 drinks for under $20. Sandwiches $3 to $7, entrees $7 to $13. Generous sides are $2.50, or "the sink" (2 sides) for $3.50.
- Counter service means your food is even more reasonable and gets to you faster. You come in, you order, you get your drink and snag a table, and they call your name when it's ready.
- A well-priced, good selection of wines & beers by the glass for those so inclined.
- ATTENTION LOCALS! 10% off everything, all the time if you live in zip code 60630 or work for the city. Can't beat that.
- Free refills on soft drinks.
- Separate kids' section of the menu, although a number of items look kid-friendly.
- Free wi-fi.
- A few smallish TV screens here and there, but they are muted and don't dominate the room. Eclectic rock music plays instead, low enough to have a conversation.
- Casual, relaxed, fun vibe. Cool and yet not obnoxious.
- Soft-serve ice cream & chocolate chip cookies for the sweet of tooth.
- They kept the old Super Cup sign and revamped it instead of tearing the thing down. Thank you for repurposing the sign instead of destroying it. Old things are cool.
- Elvis Costello is quoted (briefly) on the front of the takeout menu.
In sum, Central Kitchen & Tap is my new favorite restaurant - and what a delight to have it settle in the 'hood. Can't wait to introduce the rest of the family and friends. Anyone looking for a great-value, family-friendly, laid-back place for lunch, snacks, drinks and/or dinner is encouraged to give it a try.